15.2.06

decision

A

bout my left boob: I finally came to two decisions today. Number one, Eric and I get worked up about medical stuff way too easily. Waayyy too easily. Secondly, even though we both got really paranoid about all of this, I still deserve to meet with someone who will take the time to answer my questions about the sonogram.

Eric got a message on his phone today from my referring doc, telling me to call back and ask to speak to the charge nurse. We have a history of phone calls like this and the outcome has never been good--in our case, this message is usually code for, "We've got really bad news for you and we don't want to leave it in a voicemail." Eric relayed the message to me and promptly broke down. While on hold with my doctor's office (it took them a while to grab the nurse to take the call), I got no fewer than two phone calls asking if I had heard anything yet.

I finally got through and spoke with the nurse.

"Um...Ms. S-----? We have notes of a fibrocystic breast change in your record, and we'd like you to go ahead and schedule a surg consult..."

I asked the nurse my questions about the content of the mass and told her about my diet, but she didn't have the pics in front of her. She did tell me that if radiology had really thought that the mass was something to worry about, they would have sent me for a consult that day.

So...surg consult is next month. And I'll get my second opinion and have my questions answered.

But I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over this.

P.S. Yesterday was Eric's first day of work! Other than the scare with the phone message today, he has been in SUCH a good mood...it's awesome that he has somewhere to be now that's not home or a doctor's office.

posted by amanda @ 9:53 PM

6 Comments:

At 2/16/2006 02:09:00 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

best of luck with the consult - and the nerves that I'm guessing you'll have to keep in check until then.

 
At 2/16/2006 03:12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you have your head on straight about this. Remember, 8 out of 10 times it is completely normal. My consulting surgeon was the best doctor ever for listening to me and being willing to test and test further until I was comfortable and confident with the results. I hope you have the same luck with yours.

 
At 2/16/2006 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

good luck! I'm rooting for you

 
At 2/17/2006 01:27:00 PM, Blogger Hope said...

I hope it works out fine for you....good for you for getting a second opinion. I have heard nothing from my doctor and his nurse told me yesterday that if something wonky had shown up on my second round of tests they would have called already, so I am thinking I made it through okay. Whew.

 
At 2/18/2006 01:36:00 PM, Blogger annie said...

Cysts are very common.
Good for you for pursuing the issue and taking care of yourself and your peace of mind. We can't expect others to do it for us.

 
At 2/20/2006 03:57:00 PM, Blogger j said...

I hope that everything is all good.
It's a good idea to not get too worried about it...
And I think Target is only in America :( All we've got here is Zellers, and Walmart that are semi-close to my out in the middle of nowhere town.
Good luck!! I'm thinking of you both!

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: NC
Contact Me


Blogs of Note



Other Great Reads

Reviews



Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary
Support by Hope IT Works







Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.