16.2.06

back on the wagon...

I

f you've poked around here a bit, you might know that I pledged to run a marathon back in December for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. And you also might have noticed that I said I'd post weekly updates on how the training was going. And maybe you noticed that I hadn't posted an update in a while.

I fell off of the wagon in a big way. Not just failing to exercise, but shoving my face full of any kind of junk food imaginable. My low point was asking the cook (with a manic gleam in my eye) at the Youth Center if she had any chicken fingers left--keep in mind that these are School-Lunch-Program, ultra-greasy, processed "chicken" shapes. With dressing. I wolfed those suckers down like an addict.

It all started innocently enough...two weeks ago, I had gotten the mother of all colds and quite literally couldn't breathe without the assistance of copious amounts of decongestant. For three days, I was shaky and wheezy and mucus-y, and I really don't think that trying to run at that time would have been the best idea. (I also managed to drop a large bowl of yellow mustard on my running shoes. The really smelly kind. Don't ask.) But then, I got better...and failed to start exercising again. By the end of the week, I had slid into all of my old (bad) habits. I was nabbing snacks with the kids (and eating the gross "meat" products instead of the fruit), eating seconds at dinner, having a chip or two or twenty while I watched the game...

Changing one's lifestyle is a road fraught with distractions--one wrong turn and suddenly you're back where you started. But I have a great cause to run for in both my husband and the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.

So yesterday, I laced up my shiny new, mustard-free running shoes and got back on the wagon. And I'm running like hell to make up for the time I've lost.

posted by amanda @ 11:58 PM

4 Comments:

At 2/17/2006 09:50:00 AM, Blogger Minerva said...

Well done Amanda....Getting back on is what counts, not the falling off bit..
Minerva

 
At 2/18/2006 01:14:00 AM, Blogger KinnicChick said...

Great job. And nice to meet you! ;) I'm a runner too... but a marathon? Um, no. I put in the miles, just not that far at once! And I've got the cancer connection, as well... in 2001 my husband had a brain tumor removed. Our story is slightly different, but the affect on our lives remains the same - huge.

You've been blogrolled. I'll be back. And Eric will be added to my inspirations and will be one more person for whom I can run!

 
At 2/20/2006 03:54:00 PM, Blogger j said...

Well, consider it to be a break I suppose. Good luck :)

P.S I really want to know how you spilled a bowl of stinky mustard on your shoes, it's eating away at my mind now haha

 
At 2/20/2006 09:34:00 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Jessica--

I work with kids, and once a month we have a program called "Give Parents A Break," where they can drop their kids off on a Saturday night for a nominal fee and we feed 'em and keep 'em busy. I was busy cooking hamburgers for 50 kids and thought that I'd multitask by stacking bowls of yellow mustard out to carry them to the tables.

Lesson learned--never carry more than one bowl of mustard in each hand--they crashed to the floor, coating the floor, the table, my pants, my socks and shoes with a lovely stinky shade of yellow. :)

*but at least I got new shoes out of it* :)

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: NC
Contact Me


Blogs of Note



Other Great Reads

Reviews



Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary
Support by Hope IT Works







Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.