23.1.06

a note to my boss

E

xcuse me, Ma'am? Do I have your attention? Good.

Please don't ever refer to the time that I took off to act as Eric's caregiver as my "vacation" ever again.

Yes, I know that when you look it up in the thesaurus, "vacation" is right there with "sabbatical" and "leave of absence." But your choice of words has resulted in several people asking me, "Where did you go while you were gone?" and, "Did you have fun?"

Granted, those people aren't the ones that we work with on an everyday basis--but the word "vacation" implies beaches, recreation, and freedom. And you are trivializing the hardest three months of my life when you refer to the transplant that way.

So, please stop. Now.

Thanks.

posted by amanda @ 11:08 PM

4 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 06:01:00 AM, Blogger Z said...

Just to let you know that I have moved you to the members list on Creme de la Creme. Sorry for the delay but I have been away. Enjoy, T xxx

 
At 1/24/2006 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Hi-
Jackie gave me your blog address and I really enjoy what you have to say. One of my best friends is suffering pretty badly from GvHD right now after a stem cell transplant and some of your experiences have really helped me. You are doing a great job.

 
At 1/24/2006 03:49:00 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

Some people (your boss) just have no clue. :-(

Just found your blog, haven't read it all yet but I definitely plan on it.

 
At 1/24/2006 06:53:00 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

that sucks. don't you wish that sometimes it would be acceptable to 'grab a person by the shoulders, give them a good shake, and then a nice little slap on the face to end it'

ignorance is bliss, maybe in her world she can't think of it as cancer, because then she would have to think about her own mortality.

I would still like to slap her though

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: NC
Contact Me


Blogs of Note



Other Great Reads

Reviews



Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary
Support by Hope IT Works







Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.