15.1.06

dichotomy

T

his weekend marked the start of accomplishing two goals that couldn't be more opposite. In the only meme that I've ever done, I announced that one of my goals was to learn to make decadent desserts. My foray into baking started with Flourless Chocolate Cake, which is composed of 1 cup butter, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 cup of sugar, and 4 eggs. This sounds simple, and was, until I got to the part when I was supposed to whip the egg whites and half of the sugar until stiff peaks formed. I beat those damn egg whites like a red-headed stepchild, but they would not stiffen up. Consequently, my cake turned out kind of flat and brownie-like, but I covered this up with a large garnish. (This is kind of cheating, but hey, it works for me.)



My treadmill also came yesterday, and hubby and I got it set up today. This is Day 1 of the Marathon Project, and I'm glad that I'm giving myself 12 months to train for it. I think that I'm going to need as much time as I can get--I really let myself go over the past year, gaining more than 40 lbs. But this project is about something far bigger than me: I am running for every man, woman and child who has been affected by leukemia. The money that I raise through this could help several families pay for blood product expenses, travel, or housing near their medical facility. The sweat and pain is all for them, and for cancer patients everywhere.

Stats as of 15 Jan. 06 are:
Days Running: one
Peak Weight: 222 lbs./100.7 kg
Current Weight: 222 lbs./100.7 kg
Miles This Week: one and 3/10
Total Miles: one and 3/10

posted by amanda @ 8:21 PM

11 Comments:

At 1/15/2006 09:10:00 PM, Blogger Gooberman said...

Hello fellow Marylander! That dessert looks amazing! I think I am going to dangle that picture in front of my fitness center's treadmill to get me to run my own marathon.
Great goal to run a marathon! You can do it!
By the way,Michele made me run all the way here to say hello!

 
At 1/15/2006 09:28:00 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm suddenly hungry. But more importantly, I'm suddenly inspired to get my own keister out there.

I donate blood plasma every week. I will follow your journey carefully. I admire your strength.

 
At 1/15/2006 09:38:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, good for you. I don't how marathon runners do it. I live right on the Boston Marathon route, on heartbreak hill, and we watch every year with awe.

Michele sent me.

 
At 1/15/2006 09:38:00 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Best of luck to you on both goals. I'm here via Michele and will stick around to read some more.

 
At 1/15/2006 09:39:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

The dessert looks really good! Who cares if its flatter than you wanted it. I bet its still yummy!

One of my goals this year is to run, and eventually train for a marathon. You're my new inspiration! :-)

 
At 1/15/2006 09:45:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

good for you! and can I have a piece of that brownie desert? omg...looks delicious! Hi from Micheles

 
At 1/15/2006 10:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Best of luck training for the marathon! My husband walked a marathon with Team in Training to celebrate the 20-year anniversary of his diagnosis (at 21) with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. It's a wonderful organization.

I love baking flourless cakes! I don't think I've seen a recipe that involves beating the egg whites with that much of the sugar; most recipes I use call for adding a small amount of sugar to the whites after you've beaten them to the soft peak stage. Flat or fluffy, I'm sure your cake tasted great, and that's really what matters, no?

Here from Michele's.

 
At 1/15/2006 11:46:00 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

from michele's - just do it! health is a gift all by itself!

 
At 1/16/2006 12:03:00 AM, Blogger kenju said...

What a great goal for you! I wish you luck wtih the treadmill and the marathon.

Michele sent me.

 
At 1/16/2006 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Robyn said...

Hi Amanda, here from Michele's! Very nice photo! Good luck with your training! I loved running when I was younger, sometimes I still run in my dreams. I miss it so. Work hard and it'll pay off!

 
At 1/16/2006 12:08:00 AM, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Good for you! Go girl, go!

Hey thanks for the vote and the link! I'll be back soon!

Tonight, Michele sent me.

 

Post a Comment

» Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: NC
Contact Me


Blogs of Note



Other Great Reads

Reviews



Powered by Blogger
Design by Beccary
Support by Hope IT Works







Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons 2.5 License.